DECAPOLIS Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» DECAPOLIS » Music & Media » Art & Literature » Top 10 Books You Read This Year

- Email Page    
Author Topic: Top 10 Books You Read This Year
goodeveningsun
ultra super ninja

Icon 21 posted      Profile for goodeveningsun   Email goodeveningsun   Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone of you pondering this one? i got to thinking about it earlier today, but i haven't made my list quite yet. not doing books of the year, though, because i'm not entirely certain that i've read any books that came out this year just yet.

carroll

Posts: 7353 | From: Mississippi | Reg: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hot Foot Steph
mecha ultra super member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hot Foot Steph   Email Hot Foot Steph   Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm. i didn't read as many books this year as i would have liked. so some of these may not be "top ten," more like "the only ten." haha. in no particular order:

-by nightfall, michael cunningham
-the hunger games trilogy, suzanne collins
-the tenth circle, jodi picoult
-the swan thieves, elizabeth kostova
-the hours, michael cunningham
-queen of babble, meg cabot
-rescue, anita shreve
-lolita, vladimir nabokov (although technically that doesn't count because i'm not QUITE finished with it)

and i want to say i read "the romantics" by galt niederhoffer and "one day" by david nicholls this past year, too. but i think those MAY have been the year before. like fall 2010. not sure.

(haha wow...i can't think of anymore that i read this year...well, fiction anyways...shame on me!)

fail.

and i'm currently reading "the marriage plot," by jeffrey eugenides, which i'm already sure will be a favorite.

Posts: 3433 | From: richmond, va | Reg: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
goodeveningsun
ultra super ninja

Icon 3 posted      Profile for goodeveningsun   Email goodeveningsun   Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, that's the nice thing about keeping up with my shelfari page. makes it easy to remember what all i read this year. also, 10 was a pretty arbitrary number. top 5 or top 7 or top 23 are all acceptable as well...

i think i'll probably wait a few weeks to make mine, because i intend to read as much as possible once the semester is over. also, i may do 5 instead of 10. i'm not sure.

carroll

theinfamousLG
Ultimate Ninja

Icon 1 posted      Profile for theinfamousLG   Email theinfamousLG   Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'm sure I'll get some reading done during my winter break so I won't make a list yet. Posting books here helps me keep track of what I've read because I forget to write it down in my little book notebook sometimes. Maybe I should try shelfari.
Posts: 12192 | From: Floriduh | Reg: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
e/rj

Icon 1 posted      Profile for e/rj   Email e/rj   Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 10 piled up on my desk right now, which I have yet to completely read, for the research paper I have due in about 16 hours.

In reality, I haven't read a single book all year. And the only film I saw I didn't like at all.

-Eli

Posts: 1935 | From: Nashville, TN | Reg: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
goodeveningsun
ultra super ninja

Icon 3 posted      Profile for goodeveningsun   Email goodeveningsun   Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's a bummer. some of the ones to make my list might really end up being stuff i read for school, but i read a lot for pleasure over the summer, at least (not so much this fall).

carroll

e/rj

Icon 1 posted      Profile for e/rj   Email e/rj   Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually read Chuck Hogan and Guillermo Del Toro's third book in the Strain Trilogy which was great.

As a grad student I don't get much time to read for pleasure.

-Eli

goodeveningsun
ultra super ninja

what are you in grad school for?

carroll

e/rj

I'm getting a Masters of Divinity from Vanderbilt.

Looking at Iliff in Denver for an MA and hopefully PhD somewhere like Union in NY.

-Eli

theinfamousLG
Ultimate Ninja

Icon 1 posted      Profile for theinfamousLG   Email theinfamousLG   Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, usually not much time for reading in grad school with all the reading you have to do...or even in undergrad school sometimes. If I was reading for pleasure then I wouldn't be reading my textbooks. It took me months to get through "Anna Karenina" because I read it during college....that and it was long and sometimes boring.
tunes4x
mecha ultra super member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tunes4x   Email tunes4x   Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been a crazy year not sure I read 10 this year.

Portable Door - Tom Holt
In Your Eyes - Tom Holt
Earth, Fire, Wind and Custard - Tom Holt
You don't have to be evil to work here but it helps - Tom Holt
Chosen but Free - Normal Geisler
Financial Peace - Dave Ramsey
Every Man's Burden - John Miller
Damned - Chuck Palanuik
Fight Club - Chuck Palanuik
Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters - Meg Meeker

Whoa I did read 10 books this year.

Posts: 3905 | From: Wichita Falls, TX | Reg: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
p e t e
mega mecha ultra super member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for p e t e   Email p e t e   Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't quite cut it down to 10, but here's the top 14 (in alphabetical order).

About A Mountain by John D'Agata
The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler
The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
A Dance With Dragons by George RR Martin
Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
Little, Big by John Crowley
The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides
Never Let Me Go by Kazuro Ishiguro
The Pale King by David Foster Wallace
Skippy Dies by Paul Murray
Tinkers by Paul Harding
Waking the Dead by Scott Spencer
Zazen by Vanessa Veselka

(p e t e)

Posts: 4586 | From: second largest wyoming in the us | Reg: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
JasonIsAGeeksMom
Administrator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JasonIsAGeeksMom   Email JasonIsAGeeksMom   Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My top ten reads for the year?

Skippyjon Jones Lost in Spice
The Birthday Monsters
Olivia
The Cat In The Hat
Christmas Storytime Collection
Bedtime Favorites
I Can't Wait Until Christmas
The Animals Christmas Eve
Big Bird's Red Book
The Monster At The End Of This Book

Yep. Don't get a lot of time to read for my pleasure........too busy reading to the boy. [Smile]

Posts: 19843 | From: dallas,tx | Reg: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
JasonIsAGeeksMom
Administrator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JasonIsAGeeksMom   Email JasonIsAGeeksMom   Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really should have said ONLY for my pleasure because I do love reading all the different books to the Grandson......it is a pleasure and a great time for the both of us. [Smile]
Posts: 19843 | From: dallas,tx | Reg: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
goodeveningsun
ultra super ninja

i love the birthday monsters.

carroll...stillhasntmadeherlist

breezygirl
Ultimate Ninja

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breezygirl   Email breezygirl   Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pretty much read young adult books for 2011, so I don't know if anyone cares about my list except maybe AnnA and Steph. I will suggest Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor as a really good crossover, if you want to see how cool YA has gotten in recent years (and you've already read The Hunger Games - it's nothing like that book btw)

Here's a link to my blog post about my10 faves read in 2011

Posts: 11091 | From: The Monarchy | Reg: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
theinfamousLG
Ultimate Ninja

oh man, I've never read The Birthday Monsters..or maybe I have? Too many books.
I started my top ten book list and didn't finish it. So I guess these are my top 10? In no particular order really. And I probably could have put more young adult books in there as series but decided to go with individual books instead.

One of Our Thursdays is Missing” Jasper Ffordde
“Graceling” Kristin Cashore
“Fire” Kristin Cashore
“Unbroken” Louie Zamperini and Laura Hildebrand
“Room” Emma Donoghue
“Sold” Patricia McCormick
"From Eternity to Here" Frank Viola
"Messenger" Lois Lowry
“The Price of Stones” Twesigye Jackson Kaguri
“Jesus Manifesto” Leonard Sweet and Frank Viola

p e t e
mega mecha ultra super member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for p e t e   Email p e t e   Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the other From Eternity to Here!

That is all.

(p e t e)

Posts: 4586 | From: second largest wyoming in the us | Reg: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
theinfamousLG
Ultimate Ninja

hah...yeah I think I ran across that when I was looking for it on Amazon.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2011 Decapolis. All Rights Reserved.
Terms of Use